skip navigation

Match Recap | LDNvNY 5.18

By Staff, 05/18/21, 10:15PM EDT


Loudoun United FC lost their second match of the United Soccer League (USL) Championship 2-1 to New York Red Bulls II at Segra Field. Loudoun United fell behind after Red Bulls II scored a second half penalty and were unable to overturn the deficit, despite outshooting their opponent 13-1.

Head Coach Ryan Martin started with Jermaine Fordah in net and Owen Walz, Timothy Mehl, and Wahab Ackwei as the back three. Gaoussou Samaké and Ted Ku-DiPietro played as the team’s two wingbacks and Jeremy Garay and Noah Downs slotted into central midfielder. Kairou Amoustapha, Samson Sergi, and Jovanni Bolivar started as the attacking three for the Red-and-White.

New York Red Bulls II opened the scoring in the fourth minute when Omar Sowe converted off a cross from in-close. Loudoun United responded well after conceding early and controlled the rest of the opening forty-five minutes. Loudoun were rewarded for their efforts as Samson Sergi found the equalizer in the 27thminute.  Gaossou Samake beat his defender down the left wing and drove towards the box where he put in a cross that was met by Sergi. His initial attempt was saved by the keeper and ricocheted off the crossbar, but the Loudoun native was on-hand to tap into the open net for his first professional goal. Later in the half, Timmy Mehl rose up for a header off a corner kick, but his effort hit the crossbar and bounced wide. The match went into halftime tied 1-1.

New York Red Bulls II regained the lead in the 64thminute when Mandela Egbo slotted home from the penalty spot, following a foul by Loudoun goalkeeper Fordah. The Red-and-White pushed forward for the rest of the match to try and find the equalizer, but fell short. Darluis Paz, who came on as a substitute in the second half, had a looping shot from inside the box saved by the Red Bulls II goalkeeper right before it crossed the line in the 79thminute. In the 88thminute, Loudoun United earned a free kick from just outside New York’s penalty area, only for Massimo Ferrin to see his bending free kick hit the crossbar after going just over the wall. Despite the pressure put on by Loudoun, they were unable to find the tying goal and the match ended 2-1 in favor of New York Red Bulls II.

Loudoun United’s next match will be against New Mexico United on Saturday, May 29 at 9:30 p.m. EST. The match can be streamed on ESPN+.

Latest News